Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Chapter Eight

I think that Bryant secretly wants Rick to fail or get killed. He won't let him talk to Dave and seems not to trust Rick anyway. I knew that Polokov was going to come out of nowhere! It just happened so fast that I didn't really understand what was going on. All of a sudden "Kadalyi" admits he's Polokov and Rick shoots him. It seems like Bryant knew that the Soviet police officer was really an android. The most confusing part of this chapter is when Rick says "You're not Polokov, you're Kadalyi!" I think that he just messed up his sentence but I don't know why K. Dick would even put this in the chapter if there was no significance. Obviously there's a lot the reader does not know.
Rachael Rosen wants to help Rick "retire" the rest of the andys. She thinks that he could use her help in both identifying and tricking the andys. She had an interesting timing to her call, too. She called just before Polokov attacked. I think it was a warning and I'm pretty sure Rick thought so, too. I think that later on in the book, Rick will accept Rachael's offer and they will team up together.

1 comment:

Clary said...

You're the second person to make this prediction about Rachel teaming up with Rick!

I'm not sure what the confusion with Polokov and Kadalyi is, but I can't imagine it's a mistake on PKD's part.